The modern trends in sculpture both abstract and figurative have dominated the public imagination and the popularity of contemporary sculpture has sidelined the traditional approach to home décor and landscaping.
With the advent of a new era in interior design focusing on contemporary interiors or interiors with an eclectic approach, the abstract sculpture has become a necessary accessory. Freeform, abstract sculptures add drama and that important focal point that speaks to the observer.
• Marble sculpture is the art of creating three-dimensional forms from marble.
• Sculpture is among the oldest of the arts. Even before painting cave walls, early humans fashioned shapes from stone. From these beginnings, artifacts have evolved to their modern complexity. The point at which they became art is for the beholder to decide.
• Since classical times white marble is highly prized for its use in sculptures. This preference has to do with its softness, which made it easier to carve, relative homogeneity, uniformity in all orientations, and a relative resistance to shattering. Also, the low index of refraction of calcite allows light to penetrate several millimeters into the stone before being scattered out, resulting in the characteristic waxy, warm look which gives "life" to marble sculptures of any kind, which is why many sculptors preferred and still prefer marble for sculpting.
• Ashton Sculpture uses stunningly beautiful, high quality imported marble which typically has splendid yet varying degrees of natural grain.
• The Gallery “Marble Fabrication” displays the stages of creating the Chronos sculpture from a relatively large (600-pound) rough block of marble. It is fascinating to observe a beautiful sculpture evolve after artistically carving and chipping away the superfluous (unwanted) aspects of the stone.
• In antiquity, many cultures produced works of impressive bronze statues. Bronze sculptures are widely known for their longevity. As such, the use of Bronze continues into modern times as one of the materials of choice for contemporary sculptures and monumental statuary
• In addition, Bronze becomes increasingly desirable as it ages and develops warm textures and patinas that enhance its beauty.
• Ashton Sculpture offers high-quality bronze sculptures suitable for interior and exterior installation. Various customized patinas are also available.
• Stainless Steel is a beautiful contemporary metal made of corrosion-resistant steel containing chromium and nickel. Its bright luster is inherent due to the composition of this material.
• It is an ideal material for use in fine contemporary sculptures for the reason that it does not pit, chip, peel or discolor. Consequently, it is unrivaled in value since it is impervious to the elements and lasts ad infinitum.
• With high-mirrored surfaces, use of Stainless Steel transforms simple abstract shapes into elegant creations of art. Frequently, a marble or granite base compliments the sculptures, thus becoming an integral part of the artistic impression.
• Other finishes include satin, orbital grain and hand rub finishes although I remain partial to high-mirrored surfaces.
• It is common to use Wood as an art medium. Historically, sculptures and carvings were made of wood for more than millennia.
• Ashton Sculpture uses high-grade wood in its new line of abstract carvings most suitable for interior installation. They are unique and mesmerizing to the inquisitive observer and can easily blend with any interior design style.